[TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

To: "kj6y--- via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 08:48:27 -0700
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 15:16:08 -0700
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

<I actually did the same scenario here.   I have a full size 40M dipole at 115
feet and I fabbed a vertical full size dipole for 40M and hung it from the side
of the tower for comaprison.   On DX the vertical won hands down on every sig.
 On closer in, stateside <stuff stuff the horizontal dipole was the best.  Not
suprising, the vertical dipole has a lower angle of radiation.   I also checked
to be sure the tower wasn't interacting with the vertical dipole to be sure it
didn't screw up th pattern.  I am very pleased with the <vertical dipole's
performance (for DX)

<Bob
<K6UJ

##  What did you make the  40m  full sized dipole  from, wire..or  tubing ?
How far is it spaced away from the  tower ?  How high is the dipole on the
tower ?   Is the  top of the aprx  66  ft  dipole  close to the top of the
tower ?
My guess is,  the tower is acting like a reflector  behind the 40m  vert
dipole.   IF that was the case, you would see  some amount of  FB in the
opposite direction..and some  FS.

Jim   VE7RF