Re: [TowerTalk] Joining two perpendicular wires

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Joining two perpendicular wires
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 23:34:55 -0700
Are we no longer using telegraph, telephone, and power wire T's, taps, and splices (all the ones for perpendicular wires)? One is even called an "Aerial Splice", for guess what...? I'd check that one first, it's also known as a "T-Joint":

'Aerial Tap Joint - Mostly used in outside work, or in locations where wires are subjected to considerable movements'

All the older splices designed to be done without solder, because there may have not been any available, the splices were not intended to be reliant upon something else to make them secure, and wire in a joint will typically last, unless it's soldered, and in a situation that results in motion, or vibration, and the transition from bare flexible wire to relatively stiff solder, often results in failure at the transition. I'm sure many have seen it, a nice, tight, crimped, then soldered joint, cut straight through, as if done with a razor blade due to material failure. I learned the hard way to avoid crimping, and soldering.

Kurt