[TowerTalk] burying conduit vs pulling when

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] burying conduit vs pulling when
From: STEPHEN L SALA <k7awb@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 18:25:39 +0000
I see that there several methods of putting heliax, coax, and control cables in
conduit (a pair of 3 or 4 inch PVC) buried in the ground.

  1.  Glue ten foot sections together as you pull the cables through each ten
foot section and then bury it all.  Might get glue on cables?
  2.  Glue  the entire conduit first  together and leave it unburied until the
cables are pulled, then bury conduit.  Because there is no weight of dirt on
the conduit, does that method affect the pulling  on the conduit structure?
  3.  Glue the entire conduit run together, but then bury it before pulling
cables.  the burying of the conduct first should keep the conduit from coming
apart or out of the ground?

Since my trenches are in fractured basalt, but already dug, and I have
gophers/voles in that area that mess up the open trenches now, I probably will
do the following:

Lay down about 1 inch of sand to even out the trench bottoms.
Install conduit(s)
pour a few bags of gopher repellent around the conduit
Fill in trench with 5/8 crushed gravel, then an inch of dirt on top so it looks
like the land around it.

Any comments please?

73
Stephen Sala