Re: [TowerTalk] SP7GXP antennas?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SP7GXP antennas?
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 11:48:08 -0700

I own an Optibeam OB16-3 tribander as well as an Optibeam OB2-40 shorty 40.  I modeled both antennas in EZNEC+ using the published dimensions, as well calculating the impedance of the short square tube transmission line that connects all three driven elements on the OB16-3 and calculating the inductance of the "hairpin" matching coil used on the OB2-40.  My modeled patterns matched very closely the patterns that DF2BO had sent me.

With the help on K9RX, who at the time lived about 30 miles line of sight distant from me (we both lived on elevated ground), I then measured the horizontal pattern by rotating my antenna while he took signal strength readings.  With him transmitting, I again rotated my antennas and took direct voltage readings using the microvolt mode (no AGC or other compression) on my K3.  In all cases the measured patterns closely matched the Optibeam specified patterns.

It is a fact that you can't get additional gain without changing the pattern, and 2 db would require a pretty significant narrowing of the pattern.  It is also a fact that the vertical pattern is predominantly determined by height above ground for similar antennas.  My conclusion is therefore that either DF2BO has understated the gain ratings for his antennas, or that SP7GXP has overstated the gain ratings for his antennas.

73,
Dave   AB7E