Re: [TowerTalk] Rope for free hand lifting

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rope for free hand lifting
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 14:02:10 -0700
On 7/5/22 1:45 PM, Mickey Baker wrote:
I've ordered a lot of different stuff from Chris KF7P and have never been
disappointed. If he says that rope fits the bill, it will.

You might want 5/8" double braided polyester if your grip is bad, but 1/2"
will lift anything a human can pull up.

I'd also suggest, that if the "pull up" is difficult, you might want to
modify your technique. Instead of the pull-up, attach a robust block - a
pulley - near your work, so that you can pull a load from the ground and
tie it securely as you cimb. Gravity and your weight can be your friend.
KF7P sells an assorted pulleys that you can deploy as you need.

73,

At some point, using someone on the ground, perhaps with a capstan winch, becomes a good strategy.  But if you want to do it singlehanded, a pulley, a bit of a counterweight (to keep the pulling side of the rope under some tension, and jumar or gibbs ascenders as used in aid climbing.  You use leg power to push down and raise the load.  A bit of googling should find the setup if you're interested.  I can't remember who said it (Warren Harding, Royal Robbins, or someone like that), but it was along the lines of "Big Wall Aid climbing is mostly an exercise in vertical freight hauling".

https://www.vdiffclimbing.com/bigwall-hauling-1/