Re: [TowerTalk] Rope for free hand lifting

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rope for free hand lifting
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 03:35:38 -0400
Yes, of course. Not that specific one, which probably wouldn't fit my ~2.06" DXE masts, but I use something similar for a tram line when raising antennas or really heavy loads.

But a tram line is a lot of work for one person working alone to set up and take down, which is why I default to just using rope and free hand vertical lift for anything small and light enough to manage. One climb and done.

The main issue for me has not been my arms pulling the weight, but my hands cramping from the gripping force required on 5/16" rope. According to the math, 1/2" rope only has about 60% more surface area for gripping but it should help some.

Other methods have been suggested, for example making a loop of the line using one pulley at the tower and a ground anchor some distance out from the tower base so the load stays away from the tower a little on the way up. I need to try it and see if one person can set up and use that with just one climb.

Paul N1BUG