Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch operating characteristics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch operating characteristics
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:58:27 -0400
It would be nice if KA9FOX or whoever hosted K7NV's site would bring it
back.  For now you can see at least some of it in the wayback machine
https://web.archive.org/web/20040207065644/http://k7nv.com/  .  I do not
recall seeing the voltage or current on his site.  Perhaps W2FU knows.  I
had difficulty getting this answer years ago when trying to determine
conductor size.

Is anyone refurbishing prop pitch motors these days?  Recently I thought
that I had a bad PP motor on my K0XG ring but it turned out to just be a
lightning damaged protector shorting to the tower.  PHEW!

John KK9A

Norm W4QN wrote:

Hopefully there are some TowerTalk participants that are using PropPitch
rotor systems.  I am looking for some operating characteristics relating to
supply voltage, currents and rotation speed (time to do 360*).  I have been
a prop pitch user for many years and my 'go to' in the past on such
questions would be Kurt K7NV now SK or Joel K2QVB also a SK.
My prop pitch dates back to W0MLY Dick Mckercher, DXer of the 50's and 60'
and creator of Antenna Mart products.
That is the background - Specifically I am look for the DC voltage at the
'controller' and the voltage underload at the PP motor.  What is the
'start-up' surge current and the steady state 'run' current.
Those using Kurt's Green Heron controller, results may be different as it
supplies is PWM ramp up and down, but the 'run' levels will be "DC" and
useful data.
Finally is there anyone who has the working knowledge of Prop Pitch
assemblies, or maybe have access to the information that Kurt accumulated
the could be made available us PropPitch users?
Looking for some help --
Norm W4QN