Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Posts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Posts
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 15:16:11 -0400
Generally crank-up towers do not have guys however Aluma Towers do so I
assume that is what you're considering.  They must have a way to latch the
sections so there is not added tension on the crankup cable.

You can have elevated guys but it is important to keep the angle of the guy
cables according to the manufacture's spec.  An elevated anchor has a lot of
leverage so you will need a strong post and a lot of concrete.  How much
real estate are you trying to gain?  A 6 foot high post may allow 7 foot
less anchor radius.  After all of that anchor expense and maybe engineering,
you are probably better off buying a free standing crank-up and not have any
guys that are objectional to your XYL.

John KK9A

Kurt Cathcart, KR2C wrote:

Hello all

I'm planning an installation of a guyed 50' aluminum crank up tower.  As
per the manufactured, they guy anchor point would be 40' from the
tower.  As per the wife, this would be too intrusive into the yard.

My thought would to be using guy posts to anchor the guys to. The idea
would be create a foundation with a heavy pipe in the ground that would
move the anchor points closer to the tower. Would any of you have
experience with this? If so, what do I need to know going in?  Bad idea?

-Kurt, KR2C