Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter Delta Loop

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter Delta Loop
From: <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2024 12:46:36 -0400
I have quite a bit of experience over the years with Delta Loop vs Inv vee
with peak at the same height?  Assuming the ?height? is a reasonable one for
80M ? at least 80ft ? then the question comes down to what are you trying to
work and how good is the ground in your area.

The Delta loop should be fed ¼ wavelength down from the top of one of the
angled legs  to get vertical radiation.  If your ground is at least good or
better, this is an excellent DX antenna starting out at maybe 1000 miles.

If your ground is poor ? stick with the inverted vee.  If more local
contacts are important ? stick with the inverted vee.

In my opinion, there is no reason to put up the more complex Delta Loop and
not make it a vertically polarized antenna.

Note that many people ?feed it at the bottom corner? for convenience.  This
is a ?kind of? vertical radiation point but will have some high angle
horizontal as well.  It works, but its not the best for DX and its
definitely not as good locally as the inverted vee.

Ed  N1UR