Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter Delta Loop

To: john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter Delta Loop
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2024 18:23:29 -0500

John,

See my post to Jim which describes the land on my qth. I assure you that the "ground" is not better
than I think, but the hilltop undoubtedly helps in some directions.

The beamwidth is decent for a 4-square with 1/4 wavelength spacing, but it is even better for 3/16 wavelength spacing between the elements. I did all my plotting decades ago on Brian Beezley's excellent program AO program (DOS-based). The biggest difference between the 1/4 and 3/16 spacing is at the extreme ends of both sides of the main lobe, more than 45 degrees from the center. You really notice the sharp dropoff between 45- 60 degrees from the center of the lobe on the 4-square with 1/4 wavelength spacing and not nearly as much with the 3/16 wavelength spacing. With the center of the lobe at 45 degrees, that means that I get better coverage into Africa and UA0, both of which are useful directions. Likewise, when aiming SW, I get better coverage into SA and VK. I hear more "stuff" off the sides of the antenna that I might otherwise miss. It's worked well for me but others might prefer a narrower pattern.

Bob, KQ2M