Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 259, Issue 15 160 meter trap/coil

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 259, Issue 15 160 meter trap/coil
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2024 10:43:03 -0700
On 7/25/2024 4:42 AM, john simmons wrote:
   *   Where might I find a drawing of the 630m antenna?

On VK4YB's qrz page -- it's the first drawing. It's that middle vertical section that does the radiating. Everything else is loading.

   *   In what issues of QEX were the mobile antenna articles published?

When the ARRL website gets back up, you can look it up there. It was about ten years ago.

Others can tell you more about that issue with NEC. One way to see it is to build a model with inductive loading and study the current distribution table. Without loading, the amplitude and the phase of the current along an antenna varies as a continuous function, with its zero amplitude point at the end(s) (mathematically, a "boundary condition). That also happens in a loading coil, but NEC doesn't show that.

The more expensive versions (now free) of W7EL's EZNEC does include the capability to break inductors down into many segments, but it doesn't appear to model mutual coupling between turns, for example, and when I've used it to model loading coils, the results don't seem to make sense.

73, Jim K9YC