To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 259, Issue 21
From: GEO Badger via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2024 16:49:54 +0000 (UTC)
 What does DX stand for? I thought it meant "distance", though I could be wrong.
The west coast has some difficulty working the many stations in Europe and
Africa. There is an additional 3K miles to be added on as Jim points out. And
we have a big pile of dirt to the east of us. The last time I checked, RF
doesn't go through dirt.
Speaking of dirt, even with an impressive ground conductance, 3K miles and the
Rockies will add a degree of difficulty.
K9YC says:No, it's about east coast stations in DX contests (and DXCC) starting
on
third base and thinking they hit a home run. Anything based on countries
count gives anyone around the Atlantic Basin a huge advantage. You
realize it when you say you're competitive with stations in W1, who are
hundreds of miles closer to EU, but discount it when thinking about
stations that are 3,000 miles farther from EU.

---
Ciao baby, catch you on the flip side
73 de W3AB/GEOAFA9GB

WA2LSI, KE6RJW, W6B, W7B, AAR9AG