Re: [TowerTalk] Help with semi-broken Array Solutions Power Master II Wa

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with semi-broken Array Solutions Power Master II Wattmeter
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2024 16:58:00 -0400
I recently moved and while packing I realized how many products that I own
are no longer manufactured or supported.  A wattmeter is fortunately not one
of them.  Since you had to buy another one, I would have seriously looked at
the LP-100A (as K9YC just suggested).  I have two of them, one for each
transceiver, and I could not be happier.  My taller tower has taken multiple
direct lightning strikes and the LP-100A keeps on ticking...  Since this is
towertalk you should probably look into your station grounding/bonding.

John KK9A/4

Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:

Recently I had some minor damage in the shack from a nearby lighting strike
and my Power Master II is no longer functioning correctly.  Jay is not
responding (retired) and I understand that.  He's sold me some great
equipment over many years and has also helped me with tech support a couple
times.  Time for him to relax.

Mine is the smaller 2 sensor system for 6m/HF SO2R (3kW?)_.  I am seeing
aprox (but not exactly) 10% of the power out.  So, if I am barefoot ~ 100w,
I see sometimes 12-15watts on the meter.  SWR's that should all be +/- 1.5:1
are saying 2.1:1 or so.

I can't currently test what a high power signal would read as my amp was
another casualty.

Any idea where to look?  Anyone with experience/advice or even a schematic
maybe?  The menu systems all seem to be normal (unchanged) and I tried
changing a few values in case it was a software glitch but I can't get it to
read anything close to the 100w mark.  I also cannot test the 2nd radio as
one radio was another casualty.  (now that the contest is over I could try
swapping coaxes I guess in case it was just the sensor box?)

I had to purchase an (ugh!) analog wattmeter in the 11th hour for the WAE
contest this weekend.  It wasn't until then that I realized I had been so
spoiled with my PM-II !

Tnx Tower Talkians!

Mike VE9 Antenna Antenna

Mike - Keswick Ridge, NB, Canada