Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OBDYA12-5 and NN4ZZ TiltPlate

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OBDYA12-5 and NN4ZZ TiltPlate
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 22:49:38 -0400
I have never seen a NN4ZZ TiltPlate but I just looked at some online.  To me
it looks like you could just mount the square boom directly to the plate,
not sure why an adaptor is needed.  The OptiBeam comes with square U-bolts
to mount the boom. I believe that they're 6mm diameter.  For my 4el 40m
OptiBeams, I also added 3/8 diameter square u-bolts for additional strength.
You may have to shim the plate's bearing so the plate lays open perfectly
vertical.   ON4AMG has photos of his OptiBeam and Tiltplate that may be
helpful:
http://www.nn4zz.com/customer_pictures_and_comments.html#GUY_/_ON4AMG

John KK9A

Art Greenberg WA2LLN wrote:

I'm considering buying the subject antenna. I want to mount it on an
existing NN4ZZ TiltPlate.

The old NN4ZZ site shows an adapter for the OptiBeam square booms. In
this case, the boom is 40mm square and a 2.5-inch OD aluminum tube is
used as an adapter. That's all good. I can fabricate the adapter or
puchase it pre-made if it is available from Degen Designs.

But I have questions about this particular antenna. Will the adapter
clear the phasing lines that run under the boom sufficiently? Does the
element spacing around the nominal center of the boom allow for the
18-inch TiltPlate? Will the elements nearest the mast clear the tower as
it is tilted over?

OptiBeam does not make the antenna manual available without purchase,
and dimensional information that would answer my questions is not
available from OptiBeam (I did ask).

Does anyone here have this antenna and can provide the dimensions that I
need? Even better, has anyone attempted to mount this antenna to a
TiltPlate?

Thanks.
--

Art Greenberg