[VHFcontesting] Another consideration in this "number crunching"

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Another consideration in this "number crunching"
From: RR124640@Exchange.AtlantaGA.NCR.com (Rogers, Ron)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:44 2003
In regard to all this discussion about VHF contest log counts verses
participation verses VHF contest popularity, I want to bring up another
point to be considered that may be getting lost or "hidden" due to the
emphasis placed on log submission counts.
Someone may have already identified this next point and I missed it during
the past 3 weeks of this discussion.

This has to do with the actual count of operators in association with the
number of logs being submitted. This is especially important since the rule
change creating a Limited Multi-operator class.
For instance, I remember someone mentioned actual submitted log count for
the Sept. 2002 contest and how that compared to previous contests years
before. However, did anyone actually take into account the numbers of
operators associated with these logs from September and maybe compare that
to the past records?

Well, I took another look at the Sept. results and did a quick count on the
number of Multi-op and Limited Multi-op logs and counted about 65 logs. Then
I counted the callsigns associated with these logs and counted about 364
operators !! I think this number is significant and should also be
considered when trying to calculate contest popularity or activity levels.

Ron Rogers
-WB8ERB-