[VHFcontesting] Q: Power Level Setting on Popular Multimodes

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Q: Power Level Setting on Popular Multimodes
From: johngeig@yahoo.com (John Geiger)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:34 2003
Hi Mark,

I will answer your last question first.  It appears
that the FT857 has a 32 color screen (whoopee).  Other
than that, I cannot see how it is different from the
FT100D.  Oh yeah, I think it has more keyer memories.
Of course, the CW filter, DSP, and TCXO are all extra.

In terms of power settings, Yes, you can store power
settings for each band on the FT100D.  Works fine for
me and my amps.  yes it is percentage of output, and
really isn't too linear, but set it once with a
wattmeter, and leave it.  It also stores AM different
than the other modes, which is nice.  I use it for
tuning up on HF and 6.  Set the am for 15-20 watts,
and use that to adjust the antenna tuner before fine
tuning in FM.  Saves running 100 watts into a bad
mismatch.

Overall the rig works great, and would make a very
nice roving rig.  Did use it for Roving in the CQVHF
contest last summer.  Results were good considering
the lousy propogation we had.

73s John NE0P

--- "Mark S. Adams, P.E." <msadams@acsu.buffalo.edu>