[VHFcontesting] VHF Contest Rules Revisions - Part III

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF Contest Rules Revisions - Part III
From: w2bzy@cfl.rr.com (Robert Cumming)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:45 2003
Having come from the VHF+ dense northeast  to here in sunny Florida I can
attest to a severe drop in VHF+ activity.    There ias only one thing to do
about it - it is up to the individual VHF+ contester to find a way to
increase activity.

As a relatively big gun station here in central Florida (surrounded by
water grids except to the north)  I constantly look for ways to increase
activity on the bands above 10 M.   when some of the no code techs complain
that they are restricted by no access to HF, I ask them if they have ever
tried 6M.  If they ask why I invite them to sit with me during the June
contest or try sitting in on the VHF station at Field Day.  All it usually
takes is one good E opening to hook them.   How many of us take the time to
"Elmer" new hams into our aspect of the hobby.  New hams are quite
impressed at operating from a well equipped station during the June contest
window.

My scores here in Central Florida are nothing like working the Northeastern
Corridor from FN30.  Hell it was easy to tun with W2SZ/1 on all the bands
from 6-2304 in most of the contests.  Here in EL98 it used to be easy to
win the NFL section and even the SE division on at least a few bands.  But
activity here has picked up in the mpast few years (we now have activity
from 50MHz to 10GHz).   The latest 3456 record has one end here in EL98
(WA8TTM) across the Gulf to Texas.  He broke the old North American record
set by another Florida station in EL99 (KQ4PI).  My motto is don't complain
about activity - do something to encourage more activity on the higher
bands.  Ask others at club meetings not to forget the upcoming contest and
meet you on 2m and 70Cm FM simplex or, even if they have one of those new
DC to Daylight radios on SSB (how many of the TS-2000 users ever tried out
1296 SSB).

Offer to do a program at your local Club's May Meeting on VHF
Contesting,  Bring radios and demo VHF+ contacts with a friend using a
small Beam or loop antenna.   If your club does Field Day, offer to captain
VHF station.  It is amazing how many points you can generate on 6M with a
good E opening on 6M (and even 2M) that last week of June.  We usually get
more points on 6M then on 15M at Field Day if we get a good long E
opening.  Don't overlook 432 (and 446 FM simplex) for some more points.

Don't change the contests or complain about the ARRL and its lack of
support,  Hell at the last QCWA Convention here in Florida, I found out
that Dave Sumner, K1ZZ (and his wife) are active on 10 GHz.  Its up to us
to increase activity.  If you upgrade your equipment and can afford to do
so offer old antennas, transverters etc to other hams in the area as a
loaner.  If nothing else it can get you  few more points  in the contest
and at best another VHF+ contester (Operator).

Don't complain about the lack of activity, seek ways to increase
it.  Support your local clubs and encourage new hams to use their VHF+
privileges to the max.  Above all if a newcomer asks why there is no
activity on 2M  or 70Cm SSB,  show him how to make a small beam and show
him the difference between Vert and Horiz.  poled antennas.
Also don't ever agree that there is no activity = show them where it is.

Off the SoapBox.

VRY 73
Bob Cumming
W2BZY