[VHFcontesting] Re: Good Buddy QSOs

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Good Buddy QSOs
From: flowersa@alltel.net (Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:46 2003

Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

>Yes, that rule is an abomination.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think that the rule isn't
necessarily the evil that it appears.  Is it fair that all 25 people at
the K0SM multi-multi built little 24GHz Gunn diode transceivers from
surplus motion detectors and worked eachother on the patio during the
January contest at 8pts each?  What if these tranceivers were the result
of a massive project put on by the Central Nebraska VHF Club in which
lots of newbies got their first taste of the microwaves?   Good for them
if this multi-multi beats the their northern competition because they
were motivated to generate more RF than the Bismark Microwave Society.

In all fairness, it wouldn't bother me to see a 1km minimum distance for
any QSO between members of the same multi, not just using equipment
*capable* of 1km.  I'm thinking specifically of  "300 GHZ+" QSOs, aka
laser for most folks.  A laser QSO is a piece of cake if you work across
the backyard, but actually aligning them at 1km+ is a real challange and
requires some engineering and operating skill to pull off.

I'm going to go get some billows for the flames....

Andy K0SM/2