[VHFcontesting] REMINDER:CQWW VHF Contest and CU2QSO Pioneers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] REMINDER:CQWW VHF Contest and CU2QSO Pioneers
From: mcw1wjw9@optonline.net (Warren Walsh)
Date: Sun Jul 20 13:40:50 2003
At 09:04 AM 7/20/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi Warren,
>Your last communication on the subject included phrases such as, "It feels
>like..." which are impossible to overcome in a public forum...hence the
>lack of
>reply.

True, by that was only in my LAST message, and I was responding to someone
else using the term first.

>I have placed CU2QSO in the public theater, for use by anyone and everyone who
>wishes to add another dimension to their contesting experience.  Some will use
>it and some will not.  The same can be said for contest voice keyers,
>computer-based logging, CW filters and JT44.
>
>Since you seemed interested in feedback, about the only item that I could
>comment on would be...

>"You could equate this [CU2QSO] as being similar to SO2R but with NONE of the
>  REQUIRED SKILL!  At least with SO2R you are interacting with both radios!"
>
>SO2R is an HF term...CU2QSO is a VHF Contesting issue.

First, I believe SO2R is not just limited to HF contesting at all. It was
coined there the describe someone in the Single-Op category using 2
Radios.  I believe that the best Single-Op VHF contesters are doing SO2R
also as this really tests their skills, as well as generating more contacts.

CU2QSO does not test operator skills at all.  This can also be said for a
lot of the technology in use today, however some of that technology IS
useful, while some of it is NOT.

>In the VHF world, we can have as many bands active at the same time as we
>want to.

OK I need some clarification from you here. By this statement do you mean
transmitters?  If you do I would suggest you check out the rules for Single
Operator again.  If not, then VHF is no different then HF.

>   The only difference
>is that the audio comes out of the computer speaker (if you have it 'on' to
>announce stations as they pop up on the screen).

So if I turn on the speaker, isn't that like having another operator
helping me?

>You really should try it before passing judgement on it.  It's a real hoot! :)

I'm not passing judgement, just questioning the validity of this mode for
use by SINGLE-OP class.  I have no problem with it for Multi-Op or for
Single-Op ASSISTED!

>Regards,
>Ev Tupis, W2EV
>http://www.BEACONet.org     (now, with hyperlinks for dial-up folks)