[VHFcontesting] One signal per band [was: REMINDER: ... CU2QSOPioneers]

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] One signal per band [was: REMINDER: ... CU2QSOPioneers]
From: w2ev@arrl.net (Ev Tupis (W2EV))
Date: Sun Jul 20 23:45:01 2003
> Now this brings
> up another can of worms.   According to the rules you can only operate one
> station on a band at a time.  So if you were beaconing on 2 meters either
> with CU2QSO or a simple voice id'er you can *_NOT_* have any other 2 meter
> transmitters on the air ... Correct?

Hi Mike,
This is actually addressed on the website, in the setup instructions for the
various categories of CU2QSO participation.  I've restated the pertinent parts
of those setup instructions below:

Rovers: Use the CSMA feature of your TNC.  Even though CU2QSO exists on 147.585
MHz, there will be some mututal QRM when TX's occur.  SSB operation on 144.2
will QRM CU2QSO on 147.585.  Use that QRM to your advantage.

Some TNC's may see this QRM as a Carrier Sense and hold-off TXing until after
you are done talking on SSB.  If your TNC doesn't, then you will need to setup a
circuit that cuts power to the TNC when your 2 meter voice transceiver PTT's.
Simple enough, for sure.

All others: Lurk.  No automatic TX's at all.  You may want to manually CQ (by
pressing a single key) just to let other lurkers know you are there, though.

The world is good again. :)

Kind regards,
Ev, W2EV