[VHFcontesting] Why we participate [was:REMINDER:...CU2QSOPioneers]

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Why we participate [was:REMINDER:...CU2QSOPioneers]
From: Buck.Calabro@commsoft.net (Buck Calabro)
Date: Thu Jul 24 11:38:27 2003
>Contesting _is_ competition.  At its core,
>that's what it is.  It is a sport.  A
>technical sport, sure, but a competitive
>sporting event.

Hi!

I am a relatively new Ham, and my home situation is such that I have no place
to put antennas, so I operate mobile.  When I found out about contesting, Rover
seemed like a great fit.  I have held off posting because I haven't the
experience of everybody else here, but 'Why we participate' has motivated me to
share my reasons.

I like building stuff.  I like using it and seeing how well it works.  It's
quite a challenge to operate homebrew gear from the back seat of a sedan in the
rain, on the road, trying to keep to the schedule.  Being able to overcome
these obstacles is what 'does it' for me.  Talking a hundred miles with a
tennis can antenna and a hundred mW is pretty darned neat!

Ham radio is a technical hobby and that's what I like about it best.  I knew
getting into it that I would need gear, and I also knew getting into it that I
would not be competitive right away.  That's because you experienced folks have
more stuff than I do.  But that's OK!  Even if I were a billionaire and bought
a custom rover vehicle and outfitted it with state of the art gear, I'd STILL
not be competitive, because I lack experience.  As I progress, I slowly gain a
little more gear, and a little more experience each time I go out.  Paying my
dues, as it were.

But it IS technical gear, and because it's a technical hobby, contesting tests
not only the skill of the operator, but also the gear and the entire set-up.
If we (as a contesting community) truly want to test only the skill of the
operator, we might get close by standardising on a single rig, power level and
antenna system for all competitors.  But even then, station location can make a
huge difference.  But I don't see that happening.

CU2QSO is another technical addition to the technical arsenal of gear that
folks use.  Some will have the time, energy or inclination to adopt it and some
won't.  I can only guess that similar discussions arise over any significant
technological change (meteor scatter?  JT44?  PSK31?)  Someday I might get a
laptop in the car and stop logging on paper.  Someday I might even replace my
straight key with paddles and a keyer.  But even though I am at the lower edge
of the technology spectrum, I am interested in hearing about the new technical
developments and greatly enjoy the discussion.

It's a pleasure to be on the list and be able to hear various points of view.
It helps a beginner get oriented.  Thanks for your patience and 73!

  --buck KC2HIZ, FN32at