[VHFcontesting] Operator versus technology

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Operator versus technology
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree)
Date: Thu Jul 24 12:56:13 2003
Perhaps this lively discussion of CU2QSO is about something a little bigger
than just one issue.

KE3HT has some interesting points, basically asking if CU2QSO is okay, why
isn't ARPS with appropriate configuration.  Is AX.25 the problem?

Obviously, the ARRL has had a tough time making decisions about what is
permitted and what isn't.  I think they are trying to serve two (or more)
special interest groups, and will never be able to make everyone happy
(including themselves).

And, they don't get paid enough to deal with that kind of frustration.

So, what can be done?

First off, do we need to do anything?  Based upon the number of posts on
this subject, there does appear there could be a problem, that if it was
somehow addressed to everyeone's satisifaction, would be a positive thing
for VHF contesting overall.

However, if this is just a bunch of noise that is being generated more
because six meters isn't open today, and communication on the internet
is too "cheap", then we should put this to bed.

I have some ideas about how to reframe the discussion, which migh lead
to addressing the underlying issues that we keep having a hard time
identifying in the context of CU2QSO.

I see this as an exciting time in ham radio.  The VHF/UHF bands are
starting to be more popular as more and more HF+VHF/UHF radios are
available.  This has resulted in an influx of new operators on the
VHF/UHF bands who thought the FM band was only for listening to the
local classic rock station.

The culture is different.

A good example is the use of skeds.  An HF contester would be given
lots of flack if it came out that he made up skeds before the contest.
It is an unwritten rule, that you don't do it.  However, on VHF, you
see lots of people making skeds for QSOs before the contest.

Another good example of the void is an experience I had here at Intel.
One co-worker after hearing I was a ham - started talking about his
ex-boss who was a big time radio contester.  He had "won Oregon" for
something like that past 10 years.  When I asked for the name (being
sure I would know who it was), I was surprised to find that I had
no idea who Bill Clemow (KE7CX) was.  Bill is now a silent key, and
held the Oregon record for the June VHF contest for a long time.

Any time you have two different cultures thrust together, you will
have some friction.  CU2QSO is just one place where that is playing
out.  We could easily have the same discussion around skeds, or if
it is okay to ask someone on a FM repeater to work us on SSB, or it
I can put my 1296 radio in beacon mode during the contest.

It would be easy to say "this is how it is down on VHF, so get used
to it".  However, I am not sure that is the best thing for VHF contesting.
Also, the HF contesters don't get to come in and say "this is how you
need to play the game" and expect everyone to adopt.

It is a diffficult problem.  Hopefully, with open discussion of the
issues, we can better understand each other's position.  Maybe, there
are some basic changes that can be made so that we can all enjoy the
events in our own way.  Maybe this means there are different categories
for the more HF orientated way of looking at a contest, and others for
the more technology driven group.

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net