[VHFcontesting] Why we participate [was:REMINDER:...CU2QSOPioneers]

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Why we participate [was:REMINDER:...CU2QSOPioneers]
From: kc4atu@yahoo.com (Bill - KC4ATU)
Date: Fri Jul 25 06:50:27 2003
Ok, I went to the web site. In the first couple of paragraphs there is the
reference of using it to "chart the band conditions in real time."

I have done that for years with the use of the beacons. Whats new overall?  As
I see it, nothing new, just a new way to do something and use the computer to
do it.

How do I and most people I know do a contester. We tune the bands or call CQ on
a freq. This works as a rover, qrp portable, or at the home station. Me, my
radio, and the world.
That is contesting and will always be contesting. Yes I am an old dog, used pen
and paper to log and dupe with until a year ago.

Contests are about you and your station. The computer helps with the paper work
and record keeping, but the operation is you and your abilities without
artificial help. The packet spotting on HF and this here on VHF are artificial
help. The real joy is in you, and only you, doing it.

The world of ham radio does not need another piece of software just because it
is there. You have yet to show the reason that I should use this. other than
because it is there.

For those who feel they need it, go for it.

73,  Bill