[VHFcontesting] This Thread's Wrap-up (Promise) [was: Why we participate

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] This Thread's Wrap-up (Promise) [was: Why we participate...]
From: w2ev@arrl.net (Ev Tupis (W2EV))
Date: Fri Jul 25 01:19:53 2003
Why do I keep getting snarled up in this thing?  <again, slapping myself on the
forehead> :)  I've never met a group of folks so dead set against having more
fun. <grin>

Tree wrote:
> I am not trying to control an aspect of CU2QSO.  I am referring to rules
> that limit what you can and can't do during a contest and still be called
> a single-operator - unassisted.

You continue to misunderstand CU2QSO...there is no assistance involved.  There
is no need to include CU2QSO in any discussion on a topic of assisted vs.
unassisted operation.  The two are fully unrelated.

> Actually, maybe that's it..  the CU2QSO system is a spotting system where
> the guy you are about to work is giving you assistance in spotting?

No, No, No.  Spotting is not a function of CU2QSO.  Stop saying it...please. :)

<after talking about the ARRL's approval of the strategy...>

> It still wasn't a case of happy adoption.

That is only because someone ***failed to understand the system before passing
judgement***.  Once they took the time to examine it more closely, they saw just
how well the system fit the rules and reversed the decision.  Think of it as a
win for the "instant replay".  The first call was ***wrong***, but thankfully
they ran the tape and made the right call.

> Sure, this doesn't cross the line when
> it comes to the technical details...  but it is very close to the line
> from a more emotional perspective.

> The truth is, if I tried it myself, I probably wouldn't gain anything
> because I don't think it is being used in my area.
>
> However, I think that trying it wouldn't change my core beliefs about
> what contesting means to me

And here is the bottom line.  You have some emotional connection with the
pre-CU2QSO days.  No amount of real data can overcome emotion.  I will stop
trying.

I am, however, compelled to correct inaccuracies in the portrayal of the CU2QSO
system.  Otherwise...no more on this thread of the topic.

Ev, W2EV
http://www.BEACONet.org
follow the hyperlinks for CU2QSO ... or don't. <grin>