Re: [VHFcontesting] Inverter Advice

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Inverter Advice
From: Lee Scott - AA1YN <aa1yn@aa1yn.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:57:05 -0400
I built a DC to DC converter using the LT1070 and parts from an old PC switching power supply. My laptop is an Acer and uses 20vdc. The LT1070 provided plenty of power to run it at full tilt with the CD-ROM running continuously while recharging the laptop battery. I used the same circuit that Linear Technologies provides for the boost circuit. Use the toroid core to wind a new inductor for the boost circuit. Also use the diodes from the power supply as it is on a heat sink and is a high freq diode. The diode gets hotter than the LT1070. On both the input and output, put a common mode filter to keep any of the 30kc noise off of your battery. I also used the old supply case to hold the thing. Cost me a total of $11.00 to build. I don't even know how much inductance there is on the toroid core but I put about 25 turns of #14 wire on the 1 1/4 inch core. The LT1070 provides the regulation so you don't need another one.

Had absolutely no problems with it during the 10g and up contest.

Lee Scott - AA1YN
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Hooksett, NH
FN43gc52