Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

To: "Hoffman, Mark" <mhoffman@microwavedata.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:24:30 -0600
On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 03:06:58PM -0500, Hoffman, Mark wrote:
> I believe that was his entire point. That it's EASIER to build a competitive
> station with fewer bands HAS taken away from the potential pool of uWave
> activity. If I can WIN M/L, and be a speck in the results as M/M - why
> bother with it?

I think there are a lot of ops out there that, when considering how they will
be only a "speck in the results as M/M" would just decide to heck with it,
and not operate the contest.  With a M/L category, the contest becomes a far
more attractive use for a weekend.

> As the scoring is currently written, more bands = bigger score. 1 QSO + 1
> Grid on 903 is equal to as few as 3 50MHz QSOs (June) or 4 (January). Unless
> you are gonna build your M/L station so freakin huge that it'll work up to
> 4X MORE stations than before (given your geography, etc) - it still doesn't
> sound like M/L is that much more capable of being competitive VS adding some
> microwave bands.

The above paragraph is bogus logic.  M/L stations compete against other M/L
stations, not against M/U stations.

> For me, it's all about fun. I like the microwave stuff (can ya tell?) and so
> does Dave. I'm sure EVERYONE would like it if they tried it. BUT - that's
> not everyone's bag - I know that. If M/L is your bag, then rock the bands,
> dude. If you miss me during the contest, it's probably because I'm screwing
> around on 10GHz trying for a new grid.

I have tried 1296 MHz operation in STX.  I've made as many as 8 QSOs in
a contest weekend on that band.  Obviously, the potential QSOs on other
microwave bands are even fewer.  If I had to compete with the W1/W2 stations
that can easily make over a hundred 1296 MHz QSOs, I think I would find
something else to do with those weekends.

Personally, I think what we need is a single-op limited category.