Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:40:19 -0600
On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 08:31:31PM +0000, Bill Olson wrote:
> Hoo boy, I hesitate getting back into this fray... But here goes.
>
> There was a time when the League, through the contests (and otherwise) was
> actually pushing to activate the higher bands. By these I man the ones
> ABOVE 432MHz. Some silly stuff about using the bands or losing them.. Then
> there was that silly thing about "advancing the state of the art" by
> promoting experimentation and operating on the microwave bands.
>
> Then came along the M/L class, and I agree with Mark and Dave, this REALLY
> did a LOT to "unadvance" the situation. Now it may be that there are
> regions of the country where most stations don't operate higher than
> 432MHz, but I more expect there are operators that just aren't interested.
> Well, so be it.

These are the contests that the ARRL sponsors on VHF+:

January VHF Sweepstakes
June VHF QSO Party
ARRL UHF Contest
September VHF QSO Party
ARRL 10 GHz and Up Contest (two weekends)

So, two contests out of five (and half of the total contest weekends) are
tailor-made for microwave operators.  Nevertheless, some people want ALL
the contests to be microwave-centric.  Why should EVERY contest be designed
so that those who are without microwave gear in a densely-popoulated part
of the country are guaranteed to lose?  Why do you want to destroy VHF
contesting experience for the rest of us?