Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes
From: "Steve Gilmore - W4SHG" <shg@staffnet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:10:31 -0500
I agree with Mike King on this matter whole-heartedly. This business of
building or attempting to build support for some sort of EIRP classification
will result in mass confusion both for a scoring perspective and an entry
perspective.

Some time ago the ARRL sent out a questionnaire concerning our VHF and above
contests. This was done specifically to find out why the logs that are being
submitted are declining with each contest. I am not sure anything changed
from this questionnaire however I am happy to report via Mr. Seabreeze's
(W3IY's) article in the January edition of QST that this has turned around a
bit. Some question as to why may point to a massive Es opening allowing for
some who may not turn in logs to do so this contest, nonetheless I feel the
object here is to promote activity on the bands. Get some folks up on all of
our spectrum allocations so we won't loose them. Make it a point to turn in
contacts on 222 and other not so likely to be found in radios these days
frequencies, 903 - 2304 +.

I am not sure anything needs to change in our contests other than this grid
circling garbage and maybe the concept of captive rovers. Both of these
activities sicken me as they detract from the spirit of contesting. Neither
of these have anything to do with contesting and certainly don't help
determining if you radio gear or antenna systems have improved much or even
working properly for that matter.

As far as scrounging goes, yes we are scroungers. I have scrounged up enough
1 5/8 coax and connectors to outfit every band up to 2.3G. Was it easy, Hell
No. Was it worth it? Unsure probably not. Will I win any contest with Low
Power from 67 AGL in FM18GK?, proabably not. But will I have learned
something about the VHF and above bands and more than likely improve my
station?, Hell Yes.

Get the thrill, spin the knobs on different bands, try out some new home
built antennas, work someone far away not believing that you did it. My
first contest working K1FO on UHF. Wow that was a big deal for me. Is it now
after a few contests, Not really. How about working W3IY with 1 Watt with an
802.11B dish at 2.3G. It worked at about 100 miles. I was amazed and still
am.

The way I see this VHF contesting is it's very much like golf, it is not
possible for some of us to compete against the Tiger Woods of this event
like the K1TEO's or the K2DRH's of the world. However you certainly can
compete against yourself working to improve your station.

Hey maybe an award for the most improved for the previous years contest? :)

Regardless of what happens I will be listening and who knows just maybe you
might work me once or twice. It would be my pleasure.

Sincerely submitted by Steve Gilmore -W4SHG