[VHFcontesting] Rover Circling Solution [was: ARRL VHF+ contest proposal

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rover Circling Solution [was: ARRL VHF+ contest proposals: inputinvited]
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:07:35 -0500
Tom Carney wrote:

If you don't intend to prohibit circling, why not a rule that prohibits a
rover from re-entering a grid without a 4/8/12 hour intervening time.  Seems
like this would effectively prohibit circling and not be subjective.

B-I-N-G-O We have a winner. This was proposed long ago, before the rules changed. This is the right thing to do. Add one simple line to the rules...

"Once operation has ceased, the same grid may not be re-activated by the same moving station in the same contest. Operation in a previous grid is considered 'ceased' as soon as a single contact is made from a new grid."

No ambiguity. Easily understood. Easily policed.

HOWEVER...this does not address the "pack roving" strategy...where the entire pack drives down the freeway...everyone in the same grid...and everyone eventually travels through all grids together....never re-entering any...simply passing through them all as a pack.

Ev, W2EV