Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Circling Solution [was: ARRL VHF+ contest pro

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Circling Solution [was: ARRL VHF+ contest proposals: input invited]
From: John K9IJ <k9ij@vx5.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:40:57 -0600
At 10:23 PM 2/20/2004 -0500, Ev Tupis wrote:
Lee Hiers wrote:
"Once operation has ceased, the same grid may not be re-activated by the same moving station in the same contest. Operation in a previous grid is considered 'ceased' as soon as a single contact is made from a new grid."

No ambiguity. Easily understood. Easily policed.

Here in the southeast, with no enhanced propagation, I might decide that I want to move back and forth from one grid to another in less than 4/8/12 hours.
And what if I decide to take the same route both days?

You should consider a different strategy. This one isn't allowed under this proposal (and neither is grid circling).

There are a lot of rovers that squeeze rover activity into other activities in their busy days. Commuting to and from a work location, for example. Telling those people that they can only operate a short time, even though they may be in and out of the car many times over the contest period, just because they don't live close to a grid boundry, is just another disincentive to operating rover at all. We need to 'encourage' rovers, not discourage them.

Both are perfectly legitimate activities.

Legitimacy isn't the issue. There are many legitimate activities that the rules prohibit. In example: a multiop may QSO their own operators above 2.3GHz, yet qso's below 2.3ghz are certainly as legit...yet they are prohibited.

The rules define 'legitimacy'. If the rules allow something it's legitimate, if not then it's not.

The rule that allows qsos above 2.3G between operators of a multi are there to encourage construction and use of equipment for those bands. Each 'station' must be a separate individual station, even though the operator is participating in the multi operation. That's exactly why they were added, as an incentive to encourage activity on those bands.

John - K9IJ

-

John Rice  K9IJ
k9ij@vx5.com