[VHFcontesting] Process Goals [was: Insight from the Great WhiteNorth]

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Process Goals [was: Insight from the Great WhiteNorth]
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:59:26 -0500
Jim's post gave me pause. All of the proposals floated to the list seem to me to fit one of three general groups of thought. I've outlined them below with the hope that it may help to focus our comments as we file them with the League.

Without regard as to the issue at hand (this applies to all of 'em)...

***** Most absolute treatment: Precisely (this isn't always easy) define the practice. Outlaw it. There is no ambiguity here. Neither "the commissioner" nor "the players" have much wiggle room. This can be quite harsh, as it can result in "throwing the baby out with the washwater" if not carefully crafted.

***** A middle-of-the-ground treatment: Define the practice, identify a metric for observing it and change the rules to dampen (but not eliminate) the practice's impact. The ambiguity is greater, allowing for the practice to continue -- abated -- where such a strategy makes sense within the intent of the event. "The commissioner" has little to do or to rule upon and "the players" have strategic choices to make. If a loophole is discovered later the process is repeated.

***** A more ambiguous treatment: Define the practice and state that such a practice is not within the spirit of the event. Create a "review committee" with a fair process to determine if/when a violation-of-intent occurs (metrics are defined and documented as time passes) and give the committee a fair process with which to mete out penalty/discipline. The ambiguity is higher yet, while allowing both "the commissioner" and "the players" a significant amount of interpretive flexibility...with the final authority resting with "the commissioner". Note: this is a process-intensive solution that will cause a LOT of delay as people "test the waters" of interpretation.

Anyway...for what it's worth (the electrical cost of a few photons from your monitor)... :)

Regards to all,
Ev Tupis, W2EV