Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers again

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers again
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:50:18 -0600
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:29:18PM -0500, W0eea@aol.com wrote:

> A circle rover does un-natural things that involve mostly working the other
> rovers in tow.  They might bother working a few other stations, but mostly
> it is more trouble than it is worth.
> I take it you have never been a grid circling rover. (I have.)
> Rovers involved in circling are trying to be extremely competitive,
> not only against the rest of the country,  but also against the other(s)
> the are circling with.  The only way an individual rover in the group
> can beat the other rovers is to work every other station they can hear.
> They have to "to adopt operating practices that allow as many stations as
> possible to contact them" to win.  The year I did it we had five more
> contacts and one more mult than the other rover we were circling with.
> Every possible contact made a difference.

Sure - if you are trying to compete against the other rovers you are dancing
with.  It seems strange that you are competiting against people that you have
made these kinds of arrangements with.  It would seem more logical that you
are either trying to boost your club score, or make some kind of point about
how silly the rules are.

Tree