[VHFcontesting] Parting with Tradition [was:Wouldn't it be cool if...

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Parting with Tradition [was:Wouldn't it be cool if...
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:47:56 -0500
Heck, I could be a champion weight lifter if I could use a hydraulic jack in
the competition. (New Tool)

I wonder if these were the conversations that took place when SSB began supplanting full-carrier AM. :) Compared to the "standard technology" of the day, those "donald duck" sounds weren't copyable by ear...until folks realized that the addition of a BFO gave them a significant advantage.

Today...that "braaaap" or "white noise" may be a digital QSO taking place. Instead of a BFO, you need a soundcard. Instead of an ear, you need an eye.

The 21st century is both a fascinating and a frightening time.

Ev Tupis, W2EV