[VHFcontesting] re: Wouldn't it be cool if...

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] re: Wouldn't it be cool if...
From: John Barenys <jbarenys@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:20:27 -0800 (PST)
(sorry if this is a double post, e-mail issues here)

> I've been waiting for this advertisement.
>
> No, it would be *much* cooler if all QSOs were made
> via a
> means that actually requires humans to copy the
> exchanges
> by ear.
>
> It may or may not be a fun toy to play with, like
> WSJT, but
> IMO neither have any place in contesting.  No matter
> what
> the contest sponsors say.
>
> 73 de Lee

RIGHT ON... any mode that is not voice or CW should be
automatically disallowed as they have no place in
amateur radio.  Well, I've seen devices that actually
can send and copy CW... so that is probably not a good
idea either.  Voice only it is.  I mean what's the
challenge if you don't actually have to do anything
right?   We probably should ensure that none one can
use a DSP filter or that we require all signals to be
double side band AM as well.

One of the reasons why VHF is attractive to me is that
there is plenty of spectrum, when we are allowed to
use it, for people to try all kinds of different
things.  Just because it is not something you would
use in a contest, or day to day, there is no reason to
condemn them to being a "fun toy".

I welcome anything new that gets more people on the
air and/or possibly interested in the hobby.  Seeing
as we need to be able to compete with other many less
technically requiring hobbies for the younger
generation, maybe something like WSJT or HamIM is just
the nudge into the doorway that a person needs.

Amateur radio to me is "playing" so I think that I
will try to use as man fun toys as I can.  Be that
talking into a microphone or using some heavy digital
filtering to help me pull a good long distance QSO out
of the noise (even if it means that I have to be able
to see the CW to copy it).  As soon as it is not
"playing" I can quit the amateur side of radio and
just go back to my day job.

Just my $0.02 for what it is worth.

-JJB