[VHFcontesting] The eXhibition-Games = Combining UHF+uWave Cume's minus

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>,uWave eMail Remailer <microwave@wa1mba.org>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The eXhibition-Games = Combining UHF+uWave Cume's minus CD9E
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:48:58 -0500
Hi Folks,
I've been thinking about the whole pseudo-elimination of the UHF contest (I'll explain in a moment) and am starting to see a v-e-r-y interesting thing emerging: a refocus away from the "new utility bands" and a focus toward the true pioneer-bands again.

The ARRL's UHF contest was born at a time when UHF meant pioneer, not appliance. Such is no longer the case with UHF operation.

Now...let's, for a moment, suspend our 'outrage' of the rules change proposal and think like this ...

Fast forward to a combined "2-GHz and Above Cumulative" and you have the makings of simply updating the UHF Contest to meet the reality of today AND protecting our interests in the 2-10 GHz range AND an event with very new and very exciting possibilities. Take a moment to put together everything that the ARRL proposal (on THIS topic anyway) seems to be putting forward:

o Add a spring weekend to the two late summer weekends
o Add 2.3, 3.4, 5.7 GHz to the event
o Add the UHF contest to the mix, but simply eliminate the bottom three bands

Now...mix it up with the personality of the "10-GHz and Above Cumulative" and you have the makings of an ARRL sponsored:

o Microwave Activity Day (these are gaining popularity on their own!)
o Field Day type event for the non-HFer (Yeah, baby!)
  - a majority of us are going out to hilltops anyway!
  - given the large numbers of remote operations, participants should be given
    PR bonus points, just like Field Day
  - given the narrow beamwidths here, assistance should not only be allowed,
    but encouraged.
  - Category designations based on bands activated, operating status
    (remote-fixed, rover or home) and number of operators.  3B1 could mean
    3-bands, Rover, 1-Operator. :)))
o Pioneer-encouraging "eXtreme games"-type event (double-yeah baby!)
  - In fact, I'd suggest we call them the eXhibition Games (our own X-Games!)
  - We'd be exhibiting not only our technical abilities to each other as we
    operate, but doing so in the public eye (as we operate from hilltops and
    building tops).

Such a repackaged (and new) event could (if done correctly) do wonders for our facet of the hobby.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV