Re: [VHFcontesting] Too Many Contests?

To: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Too Many Contests?
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:51:33 -0500
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 05:29:38PM -0400, Ev Tupis wrote:
> Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
> >The ARRL June VHF QSO Party is _the_ premier VHF+ competition of the year
> >for North America.  It sees _by far_ the most operations of any VHF+
> >competition all year long.
>
> From: http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/
>
> June VHF QSO Party 2003: 818 Logs Submitted
> June VHF QSO Party 2004: 620 Logs Submitted
>                          ---
>                          719 Average over the past two years
>
> January VHF Sweepstakes 2003: 798 Logs Submitted
> January VHF Sweepstakes 2004: 834 Logs Submitted
>                               ---
>                               816 Average over the past two years
>
> The January VHF Sweepstakes wins..."by far".

Yeah - OK.  The January contest gets the most log submissions.  I think
this has been historically so because of club competition.  But for
those _not_ living in W1/W2, June has a lot more activity, as shown
by maps of where those who submit logs are located:

http://www.wm5r.org/maps/2003janvhf/
http://www.wm5r.org/maps/2003junvhf/
http://www.wm5r.org/maps/2003sepvhf/

--