Re: [VHFcontesting] Too Many Contests?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "Wsvhf" <wsvhf@mailman.qth.net>,"Microwave" <microwave@wa1mba.org>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Too Many Contests?
From: "John Allen" <jallen@vhfcom.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:49:19 -0400
One of the nice things about the June VHF Contest is the sporadic E on 6M.
(And, one of the nice things about the september contest is the lack of Es,
which encourages other (many weaker) signal modes to be utilized, like
troposcatter, tropo ducting, meteor scatter, and the weak signal digital
modes.)

Funny, it seems in my experience, that the Es is even better the week after,
which is field day.

AND, interestingly, the peak of the multi hop (including to Europe) is about
a week later, roughtly July 7th +/-.

And, the 2M and up Es tends to be in the same period - peaking (in
probability) around the 7th.  This year the BIG one was on the 6th.

So, how about moving the "June" VHF contest to the first weekend in July, or
the second.  I relize that there is this problem of where the 4th of July
holiday lands.

Alternatively, move the June VHF Contest to Field Day weekend, and move
(gasp) field day somewhere else in the calendar.

73 all, John, K1AE

PS: Please feel free to forward this to other VHF lists.

John Allen  - PC Support Solutions www.pcsupportsolutions.com
PC House Calls: Computer HW/SW/Network debugging, installation, maintenance,
and upgrades
mailto:john@pcsupportsolutions.com  978 779-6189 M: 508 361-6229