RE: [VHFcontesting] Vhf com. members

To: <Charles.Morrison@apcc.com>, <N3AWS@aol.com>,<vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [VHFcontesting] Vhf com. members
From: "Mike Clarson" <mclarson@rcc.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:21:19 -0400
Yeah...its part of membership, BUT, QST is available at some newsstands.
Increased circulation, for most magazines, means more ad revenue, and, the
demographic of the "free" subs is a good one--active hams( sub could be for
6 months, or they could even be sponsored and given out by lottery). Instead
of mailing subs, maybe grant better ARRL web access for a fixed time
frame...)

At least we are thinking solutions now, not just League Bashing.

While on the subject of league bashing, I spent the first 15 years of my 43
year ham career as a Technician, and, I have always resented the second
class status. Couldn't hold league office, not eligible for most awards or
appointments etc. Now that Tech's don't have to know CW, I suspect they have
even less status now. Yet is these Techs that are largely untapped in VHF
contests.

An observation: I had a hand in organizing the Mid Atlantic QSO Party (First
one was this year) and the 6 meter Spring Sprint was on the Saturday of the
MAQP. Interesting fact: As expected, the three most popular bands were  40,
80/75 and 20 meters. Not unusual. The FOURTH most popular band was 6
meters...not 10, 15 or 160! OK, there was a sharp drop off in QSO's between
band 3 and 4, but it sure makes a case for doubling up contests. --Mike,
WV2ZOW