RE: [VHFcontesting] Vhf com. members

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [VHFcontesting] Vhf com. members
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:53:29 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Mike Clarson wrote:

> While on the subject of league bashing, I spent the first 15 years of my 43
> year ham career as a Technician, and, I have always resented the second
> class status. Couldn't hold league office, not eligible for most awards or
> appointments etc. Now that Tech's don't have to know CW, I suspect they have
> even less status now. Yet is these Techs that are largely untapped in VHF
> contests.

People who don't know CW are missing QSO's in VHF contests.  If that's all
right with them, it's all right with me.  Gives me more QSO's they don't
make!

CW is the mode of choice when the band conditions aren't hot on all bands
144 MHz and up.  I'll often hear someone call CQ on SSB and try to work
them but can't get through.  Then I call them on CW and they usually
either answer on SSB or on CW.  But cross-mode QSO's are all OK in VHF
contests.

73, Zack W9SZ