Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving and Hamfests

To: Jimk8mr@aol.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving and Hamfests
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:33:00 -0400
At 08:15 PM 8/31/04 -0400, Jimk8mr@aol.com wrote:
The September VHF QSO Party happens to coincide with two of the better
hamfests in my area, Butler, PA (FN00) to the east of us, and Findlay, OH (EN81) to the west. Both are fairly close to grid corners.

My question: would their be any serious problems, either rule wise or
ethical, about setting up a rover stop at the hamfest - whether in the flea market area or a nearby parking area? Would working hamfest attendees on FM - their radios, not ones provided by us - be a problem?

I think there is an important distinction to be made here.

If people initiate the QSO with you because they see you operating, I think it's wrong. It's a form of using non-amateur means (visual) to initiate a contact.

Here's some examples:

If you're parked out of sight of the hamfest, and you're trolling the bands (or calling CQ on an appropriate frequency) hoping to take advantage of the hamfest activity, it's legit.

If you're sitting in the hamfest or parking lot, and people see the rover antennas on your minivan roof, ask what you're doing and dial up their HTs to work you, it's wrong.

Yes, I know either situation can be interpreted as a matter of degree. You can make the argument that if two rovers encounter each other on a hilltop, it's certainly not wrong for them to work each other. But I think this is different.

Dave/K8CC