RE: [VHFcontesting] 902 vs 903

To: Lee Scott - AA1YN <aa1yn@aa1yn.com>
Subject: RE: [VHFcontesting] 902 vs 903
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:34:39 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Lee Scott - AA1YN wrote:

> I've been through the dilemma and started with a 902.  The activity in the
> eastern US is on 903MHz but in the west, it is on 902.  There has been a
> lot of talk (no action) on switching the weak signal calling freq to 902
> but it hasn't happened yet. The reason I purchased a 902 rig was that I was
> using a DSP-10 for the IF which made everything transparent. When my DSP
> went south a year ago, I bought an FT817 which made 903 on a 902 rig
> inconvenient as I needed to have the IF at 145MHZ for 903 and 144MHz for 1296.
>
> The only difference between the two rigs is a crystal so if you pick up a
> 903 and later on down the road find you need 902, you just re-crystal the
> rig. That is what I did to get a 903 rig but I saved the crystal for 902.

When I originally built a 33 cm transverter, I got a crystal for 144 = 902
MHz, then found out that everyone else around here was using 903 MHz.  So
I got another crystal to make 144 = 903.

I may build another transverter with the old crystal for 902 and
phase-lock it to a 10 MHz reference for accuracy.  With the IF rig I'm
using (a modified HTX-100), there's no reason I can't program one of the
memories for 145 MHz to get on 903 and just switch memories to change to
the higher bands.

Zack W9SZ