Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving and Hamfests

To: "tom" <ac5tm@arrl.net>, <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving and Hamfests
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 00:06:14 -0400
The basic fundamental tenet of an amateur radio contest is that you initiate your QSOs via radio techniques. This has been re-affirmed by most of the major organizations that sponsor radio contests. You don't call people on the telephone to get them to work you, you don't send them Internet e-mails to get them to work you and you don't advertise your presence for contest QSOs by sitting in the midst of hamfest.

While I would agree that encouraging activity on VHF bands is a noble and worthy effort, but it does not take precedence over the requirement to initiate QSOs via radio techniques. Your example about driving a rover down the highway and somebody seeing you is not at all the same situation. That situation is essentially a random QSO that you did not anticipate. In the hamfest situation QSOS ARE anticipated - that's the whole point of this discussion.

If you're so concerned about encouraging activity on VHF, then why not take your VHF gear to every hamfest to make contacts? The fact that there is no contest that weekend should not matter.

However, let me relate a somewhat relevent example that actually happened probably a decade ago.

In 160M contests, daytime activity is VERY, VERY slow but the multi-op stations sit and call CQ all day, grinding out the occasional short-range local QSO while waiting for darkness to fall again bringing longer skip and more activity. An enterprising 160M contester had a novel idea. He had the proprietor of a local ham store set up their in-store demo radio on the contester's daytime CQing frequency along with a memory keyer programmed to send the exchange. Customers visiting the store could work the contester by simply sending their own callsign and punching the memory button. The result was an extra 90 or so QSOs

Word got out about this situation which got back to the contest sponsor, who made it known to the contester that if he submitted the log with the QSOs "from the store" included the entry would be disqualified.

In any case, neither your opinion nor mine matters. What matters are the rules and their interpretation by the contest sponsor.

Dave/K8CC