RE: [VHFcontesting] iQuery: What about the Sprints?

To: "'Ev Tupis'" <w2ev@arrl.net>,"'VHFContesting eMail Remailer'" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [VHFcontesting] iQuery: What about the Sprints?
From: "Mike Clarson" <mclarson@rcc.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:36:03 -0400
Ev: The SPRINTS are among my favorite contests. Just getting back into VHF
contesting after a long absence, the SPRINTS allow one to concentrate on a
specific band. I can assemble a decent station/antenna for one band, but not
all bands simultaneously (at this time). Portable operation for four hours
is much simpler, as biological functions do not play such a major role
(nutrition, sleep, sanitation etc). There is also less impact on life in
general, one only having to block out one weekday evening at a time rather
than a whole weekend. Complaints are few. The Spring SPRINTS tend to favor
single operator. Portable/rover operation is really enhanced with a second
person, and, being such a short contest, it would seem being multi-op would
have little advantage. While I'd enjoy winter and summer SPRINTS also, too
many may reduce the number of participants. See you on 6 this
Saturday.--Mike, WV2ZOW