Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: PACK ROVEing - Saftey

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: PACK ROVEing - Saftey
From: "Dave Glenn" <glenn.d@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:30:50 -0700
As someone who usually makes the top 10 Rovers I have been shooting for that
number one spot for several years now. With the January scores out and
coming in forth I feel in a way I have made it with the exception of Wayne's
(N6NB) crew. Wayne's goal has been to beat the all time rover score which
after several tries, much expense and planning he has done. I am sure he
will continue to rove as he does to keep the bar high and leave the
challenge out there for someone else to shoot for.

I personally chose not to compete in this fashion and focus on finding the
ultimate route and adding more bands as a way to increase my score. I find
this spurs activity as when I started there where few on 2, 3 and 5 ghz
where now we have quite a crowd on these bands. Every contest I get requests
for QSL cards from those looking for credit in a new Band, Grid combination
which proves to me I am successful in creating new opportunities for others.

Safety is important in roving, we often go to remote places, stay out late
at night and without a doubt we draw attention. Traveling with another rover
keeps this a safe sport and also gives you someone to work when you drive
many hours to a remote location to activate a grid. Often Rovers are the
only one in some of the grids. I always run with a second op but even then
we both cant effectively operate while moving as logging becomes an issue.
When I go out with others we don't "pack" rove but we do go to the same
general areas and often times we will go back into a grid to work another
combination but never to the deterrents of getting to the next spot and
working as many folks as possible.

Personally I would like to see a few more categories since roving is the
fastest growing category and in my area, the southwest most of the mountain
toppers no longer go out for numerous reasons. I have also seen a real
decline in FM only stations over the past 4 years or so. A few new
categories would encourage activity and maintain a level playing field.

Also, In my opinion changing the scoring just moves the end numbers around.
Relatively the majority will score in the same position just with smaller
numbers.

Bottom line, keep the bands alive. Get out there and Rove. Compete against
yourself and you will always be satisfied.

N6TEB\R - Dave