Re: [VHFcontesting] How to increase my score, or why should I try?

To: Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] How to increase my score, or why should I try?
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:37:19 -0700
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 06:26:15PM -0400, Buck Calabro wrote:

> I never, ever made a random QSO above the 70cm band, and respectfully
> submit that physics (i.e. beamwidth) demands some amount of planning
> in order to make a successful QSO.  Location (no trees in THAT
> direction), timing (they have to be awake) and pointing (narrow
> beamwidth) are crucial to making a microwave QSO.

Really?

I work rovers in Texas all the time with no more planning
that working them on one band (whatever band hear them on first)
and then QSYing to every band the two of us have.

This is the same way I work fixed stations.

> If someone can demonstrate how I can drive to a random hilltop, set my
> dishes up in random directions and elevations, call CQ on random
> frequencies at random times in a VHF contest with microwaves
> (microwaves = points) AND increase my score, then I'm all ears.

Well - at least here in Texas almost all of the
activity happens around or on the calling frequencies
so if I were to put a radio or 1296.1 all weekend
in a VHF contest I would work folks randomly.
(this is my highest band)

Would you care to share one of your rover logs with us - I would love
to see what a rover log looks like from an area where there
are lots of VHF stations.  I bet you get to work a lot of guys
on the bands above 70cm up where you are.

Here is  my 2005 June log:
http://www.kkn.net/k5tr/logs/05junvhf.cbr

In fact here is my june 2004 log:
http://www.kkn.net/k5tr/logs/04junvhf.cbr

And, for fun, if you want to see how amazing the rate was in 2003 on 6
meters with back to back 200 hours here is my June 2003 log:
http://www.kkn.net/k5tr/logs/03junvhf.cbr

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net