Re: [VHFcontesting] How to increase my score, or why should I try?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] How to increase my score, or why should I try?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:24:17 -0700
> > I agree with Buck. Buck's assertions are true because
> > N6NB/R and his friends were operating totally within
> > the rules of the contest, yet there is still a
> > controversy.
>
> There's a controversy because people enjoy controversy.  Turn on the
> nightly news, if you don't believe that one.
>
> If the so-called "problems" of today's contests were magically "fixed",
> someone here would find SOMETHING to whine about, I'm sure.
>
> And it would all center on whatever it was the winners were doing that
> someone else didn't like.
>
> Either you're Lance Armstrong, or you're not... Changing the rules won't
> stop the winners, they'll find ways to keep winning.

This is true in general - people love to whine...  but this is a topic
that has come up over and over - even trying to be solved at one point,
with failure.

This is more than a whine.  I view it as an important topic.

I never have operated as a rover, so I have never been beaten by a
roving group.  However, I see VHF contesting activity as a very
important issue - and feel that a heathy rover category is important
to improve the quality of the contests for everyone.  Having rovers
get discouraged is not a good thing.  I also don't think having rules
setup to encourage roving groups is the ideal way to have some really
FB rover setups operating during the contest.  I am sure Wayne would
admit that they would have worked a bunch more people "in the contest"
if the three rovers had been separated by 200 miles and within 200
miles of some population centers.  Imagine how many grids they could
have put on for the rest of us to work.

Glad to see Wayne contributing his data - this will help us understand
exactly what is happening as opposed to guessing.  Perhaps he would be
willing to make the three rover logs public domain so we can see what
they look like for ourselves.

Going back to my original points about why I was raising this.  I think
that there are rover stations who are discouraged to be in the same
category as these roving groups.  The VHF contests need more activity and
incentive for more rovers to get on the air.  Having such a difference
in scores makes it harder to feel like your effort is being recognized.

I liked the parallel to running more power -- however, that still isn't
exactly perfect.  The station that gets on in the NAQP and runs power
is still working the other people who are in the contest - and is
generally improving everyone's score - as opposed to only two other
people (predominantly).  I am glad to see Wayne making an effort to
work stations outside the contest.  I wonder how much of this was done
by the other stations in tow?

Wayne - what would you like to see done?

Tree