Re: [VHFcontesting] What cost and expected benefit to compete?

To: kenharker@kenharker.com, radiosporting@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] What cost and expected benefit to compete?
From: ADUHAWK@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:49:21 EDT
We're entering the "what is the value added" arena with entry fees.  For
casual contesters, any fee would be a disincentive.  Many would protest loudly
and
go away mad. Those who mount contest expeditions are already paying out of
pocket expenses.

Regular gas was $2.64/gallon in my neighborhood today; and I know that it's
more than that elsewhere, but the 1000 miles we're going to drive during the
September contest (14 mpg in our rovermobile) plus the overnight stay...

A $25 fee wouldn't keep us from doing it, but we would want quicker results,
fancier prizes better publicity and more space in the magazine and on the
website.  I dot think that the sponsors should use the funds as positive
revenue
generation.  Otherwise we'd already have the "Budweiser World Wide WPX."

I think that this is one of those places that fools rush in.  No more pay to
play.

 73, Tim K0PG