Re: [VHFcontesting] What cost and expected benefit to compete?

To: "'Radiosporting Fan'" <radiosporting@yahoo.com>,"'VHF Contesting e-Mail List'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>,"'CQ-Contest MailList'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] What cost and expected benefit to compete?
From: "Buck - N4PGW" <n4pgw-list2@towncorp.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:37:11 -0400

First of all, you are fantasizing, but I'll bite....

It can't happen without leaving lots of doors wide open to support members
of the Bar Associations.

Here are some of the problems.
Fraud - All operators would have to be supervised to insure compliance with
the contest. If an operator claims to be operating QRP, it will have to be
proved.

Transmission for Pay.  Amateur operators cannot transmit for money unless
they are doing so incidentally, such as a teacher in a classroom or, in case
of the ARRL, the employee responsible for transmitting bulletins and CW
practice.   K1MAN was just cited for giving his web address on the air in
his broadcasts.  His website generates money for his organization.  Once the
ARRL (or similar membership organization) charges an entry fee, the members
are automatically disqualified, or the participants could have to defend
their actions in court against charges that they were transmitting to raise
money for their club.

Counter-productive results.  If a club or organization were to start
charging fees for entry, then they would do so at the cost of membership.
As noted above, the members would not be allowed to participate in the
events they sponsor.  If the fee were pre-entry, it would stop all passive
participation.  I seldom plan to participate in a contest.  If everything is
in order when it comes time for the contest, I setup and operate it.  I
submit my log IF I think I have reason to enter, such as to get my call in
the contest results to see where I fall. If I have to pre-pay, I would not
participate in those contests I learn about or find time to operate close to
or during a contest.  I recently placed first place in the Georgia Section
in the SMIRK contest.  I learned about it AFTER the contest started.  If the
fee were for log-submission, then many of us would not submit our logs as
they aren't required for the contest and we would have a good idea that we
would not rank high enough to get a certificate or reward for the
submission.

Lack of expenses.  In a sporting event, there are many expenses that go into
just setting up for the event.  Finding the real-estate, legal fees,
permits, security, insurance, contest compliance, and public provisions to
touch on a few.  In setting up for a contest, the sponsor basically has the
expense of time: Establish the rules, the time for the contest and then
advertise it.  At the end of the contest, it takes time to compile the
results and about a dollar to print and deliver each of the certificates and
to distribute the results.  There are some incidental expenses, but they are
possibly offset by membership fees.  As the contests become more popular,
more amateurs are made aware of the sponsoring organization which may result
in additional membership.

> What entry fee would you be willing to pay and what
> would you expect for that fee?

I would likely not pay.  I am not that interested in contesting.

What I would expect, though, would be clear frequencies to operate
non-contest communications on without worrying about being interfered with.
The moment someone charges for contest entry is the moment they start trying
to commercialize the frequencies I am free to operate.  I would likely join
in a class-action suit against such organizations and/or participants.