Re: [VHFcontesting] A practical consideration

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A practical consideration
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:05:24 -0700
> the N6NB/R team did do a bit of self-promotion just after the
> January, 2004 contest, though: http://www.eham.net/articles/7590
> The controversial nature of the operation was commented upon
> by several people, including W2EV who noted that only
> 7.8 QSOs per grid went to a "real participant" and concludes
> with: "As an activity this is impressive, certainly.  Let's
> not confuse this with participating in a VHF contest as a Rover,
> though."

Perhaps some real data might help illustrate.

In a recent VHF contest (January), one of us uncalibrated HF contest
types participated in the N6NB team.  Here is the log from that
effort:

www.kkn.net/~k5tr/logs/n6zz-Jan-2005.log

And this summary from Phil:

"N6ZZ/R made 12 contacts with stations other than with N6NB/R and N6MU/R.
N6NB had a superior station, both equipment wise and comfortwise.
Consequently, he was able to work some guys that we couldn't even hear and
spend more time calling CQ and tuning enroute.  I don't think any of us
worked anybody on skip.  N6MU had an inferior station, and couldn't
even work N6NB and N6ZZ on some of the microwave bands from some locations."

I have no doubt that N6ZZ and N2IC would have tried to work anyone else
they could have during the contest.

However, due to the nature of their intent - which was to create a winning
score - they did not put themselves in good places to make more QSOs with
other participants.  Their main goal was to work N6MU and N6NB as many times
as possible.

The point we are trying to make, is that this type of operation should not
be held in the same category as the "true rover" - and that it doesn't have
the same positive impact to the contest as a "true rover".  At the very least,
these operations should not be competiting with the "true rover" - and perhaps
they should be discouraged from happening again.

I think a casual inspection of the N6ZZ log makes it pretty clear that
detection is not an issue.

73 Tree N6TR