[VHFcontesting] Captive Rovers - a mythical beast?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Captive Rovers - a mythical beast?
From: "jon jones" <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:15:38 +0000
Like the dragon or unicorn, is the captive rover is  a "mythical beast?"  I
think I saw one with my own eyes through the mist...

Years ago, back in the dark ages of VHF Contesting, before computer logging,
WSJT, FSK-441a/JT-65, Cabrillo, and web clusters existed; when VHF radios
"glowed in the dark" -  a great VHF Contest station was built on a hill
overlooking the wheatfields. It was known far and wide as "WB0DRL."

One sunny June morning, the loyal knights at WB0DRL decided they wanted to
win the contest in the m/m category. To further this cause, they equipped
several vehicles with state of the art radio gear from 50 - 2304 MHz + 10
GHz. Operators were recruited to drive and operate these war wagons.

Once the rovers were ready, they were sent out on their journey. Their
mandate was simple, drive like the south wind, stop in a new grid, work the
"mother station," then on to the next grid. If any other stations were
around - work them quickly but don't tarry. Each rover covered over 1,500
miles that weekend.

WB0DRL came within striking distance of winning it all.

Were these "captive" rovers?

- Jon N0JK